Beowulf is a grappler who can be described as a “power-play” character. At various times throughout a fight, he will get large spikes of power due to his Character Ability: HYPE MODE. Players will need to tactically take advantage of it in order to maximize Beowulf’s potential.
While fighting, Beowulf's Throws (including Special Move Throws) and Juggle Finishers will generate one Hype Charge. Beowulf also gains one Hype Charge every thirty seconds in the fight. Once Beowulf gets 3 Hype Charges, a button appears that allows Beowulf to activate HYPE MODE for 10 seconds. In HYPE MODE, Beowulf's throws are unbreakable, and many of his moves will have different properties.
Known world-wide for felling the Gigan warrior Grendel and for his illustrious career in the ring, Beowulf had secured himself a spot in the history books as a champion. But a mediocre acting career after leaving the ring tarnished his legacy.
Now, as the Canopy Kingdom faces a new threat, Beowulf enters the ring once more, determined to relive the glory, and in doing so stumbles upon the truth about his past… Will Beowulf be able to overcome this new threat to the city and his legacy? Or is this his final taste of the spotlight?
Marquee Ability: TITLE FIGHT
ACTIVATION EFFECT: Beowulf deals 5/20% bonus damage in HYPE MODE for every 20 seconds elapsed during the match.
On mobile devices, tap on the variant text to navigate to their page, not their card.
- Moves that are affected by Hype Mode
|Aerial||Tap after Launcher||Aerial ends with an extra grab movement, sending the enemy up higher than normal Aerial.|
|Throw||Upside swipe with two fingers||Throw becomes unbreakable and gains an extra grab attack.|
|Wulfshoot||Special Move||Wulfshoot obtains an extra grab attack.|
|Wulf Blitzer||Special Move||Wulf Blitzer can be tapped up to 4 times instead of 3.|
|Geatish Trepak||Tier 1 Blockbuster||Ends with another animation, with Beowulf smiling to the crowd and temporarily locking the foe in place before forcing them to the edge of the screen. Allows for follow-ups.|
|Lupine Pummel||Tier 2 Blockbuster||Doubles the number of head butts performed by Beowulf (from 4 to 8); number of kicks still 3.|
|Cosmetic: If used to defeat the final opponent, penguin referee emerges.|
|Wulfmania||Tier 3 Blockbuster||Ends with Airwulf. Cosmetic: if used to defeat final opponent, penguin referee emerges.|
|Three Wulf Moonsault||Tier 3 Blockbuster||Final hit deals slightly more damage.|
Beowulf generally has a lower maximum combo count than the other characters and is best played as a grappler. Despite this, Beowulf's individual hits deal a ton of damage and can be extended by bouncing your opponent off the wall. In addition to that, he has a unique mechanic called Hype Mode where all his grabs become unbreakable and several of his moves get additional hits and beneficial effects.
It should be noted that Beowulf has two excellent grappling Blockbusters. Grappling Blockbusters have the unique property among all other Blockbusters in that they cannot be blocked or broken.
- L5 means a chain of 5 normal ground attacks. (Usually by tapping 5 times on the screen)
- Up or Launcher means the normal move that sends your opponent in the air (performed by swiping up)
- A5 means a chain of 5 normal air attacks. (usually by tapping once right after having launched your opponent)
- Grab refers to throwing your opponent. (Done by swiping with 2 fingers)
- Dash means a dash attack (Swipe right)
- Trip means a trip attack (Swipe down once)
- Charge is a powered attack (Press and hold for a few moments to charge then release)
- Special thanks ot OozyGamer for the combo video.
- Just like a real life wrestler, Beowulf loves to bounce his enemies off the ring walls. Which is why several of his combos require him to be at a specific distance from the right corner. Combos that specify (Right 1/3 screen) really just mean that you need to start the fight at one third of the total ring's distance from the right corner.
- Similarly, combos that specify "corner" need to be started at the extreme right corner when the opponent has no space to move.
- As a fellow wrestler (and because her hitboxes are quite weird), Cerebella is a nemesis to Beowulf. Several of Beowulf's combos don't work on her.
A large part of Beowulf's damage relies on grappling opponents with Geatish Trepak or Lupine Pummel right after they stand up. This in turn can effectively lock your opponent in a long chain which looks like a combo. These "fake" or pseudo combos cannot be considered true combos as they can be broken up with any Blockbuster or Swap.
However, they are extremely useful and represent a valid, but cheesy, playstyle.
- L5 > Up > A5, Wait for opponent to stand up, Geatish Trepak, Wait, Lupine Pummel
- (Wulf Shoot, Wait) x 5 (Must equip 5 different Wulf Shoots)
All standard combos can be broken with any "Burst" move by the opponent as long as they are not in the air or during a Blockbuster.
- Dash > L5 > Trip
- Dash > L5 > Geatish Trepak / Lupine Pummel
- Dash > L5 > Hurting Hurdle > Wulf Blizer x 3 > Gigantic Arm / Airwulf
- Dash > L5 > Up > A5 > L2 > Trip (Does not work on some characters)
- Dash > L5 > Up > A5 > Gigantic Arm
- Dash > L5 > Up > A5 > Wulf Blitzer x 3 > Gigantic Arm / Airwulf
- Dash > L5 > Up > A5 > Hurting hurdle > Gigantic Arm / Airwulf
- Charge > Hurting Hurdle > Gigantic arm
- [Hype Mode] Dash > L5 > Geatish Trepak > Gigantic Arm
- L5 > Up > A5 > Dash > Dash > Hurting Hurdle > Gigantic Arm
- L5 > Up > A5 > Dash > Dash > (wait for enemy to bounce off wall) > L3 > Gigantic Arm
- L5 > Up > A5 > Dash > Dash > (wait for enemy to bounce off wall) > L3 > Airwulf
- Dash > Dash > (wait for enemy to bounce off wall) > L2 > Gigantic Arm
- Charge > L2 > Wulf Blitzer x3 > Gigantic Arm / Airwulf (lightweight characters only)
- Charge > Dash > L2 > Gigantic Arm / Airwulf (lightweight characters only)
- Dash > L5 > Up > A5 > L2 > Hurting Hurdle > L2 > Wulf Blitzer > Gigantic Arm / Airwulf
- L5 > Wulfamania > L2 > Hurting Hurdle > L2 > Wulf Blitzer > L2 > Gigantic Arm
- [Hype Mode] Dash > L5 > Geatish Trepak > Gigantic Arm / Airwulf
- Dash > L5 > Up > Dash > L2 > Hurting Hurdle > Dash > L2 > Wulf Blitzer > Dash > L2 > Gigantic Arm or Airwulf